Canvas Mortgage Careers
Ready to help us create great new stories for our clients and community? Apply today to help us build something better.
Do you have a keen eye for detail, keep meticulous records, love to see your customers surprised and delighted along the way? Final question: when faced with a challenge, do you get excited or run away? You might be perfect for our Mortgage Loan Officer. This position will be responsible for preparing initial disclosures ensuring they are delivered accurately and timely fully complying with all applicable regulatory requirements.
About Canvas Mortgage:
Canvas Mortgage is a residential mortgage division of Merchants & Marine Bank that helps its customers achieve their personal goals and begin their next great story. Led by industry-veterans, Canvas Mortgage serves community members in Mississippi and the Alabama Gulf Coast, as well as surrounding communities.
Apply today to help us build something better!
Why Work for Us:
- – Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- – 401-K Plan
- – 10 Paid Holidays
- – Personal Paid Time Off
- – Term Life, AD&D, and Disability Insurance
- – Student Loan and Tuition Assistance
The Retail Mortgage Loan Officer is responsible for originating self-sourced and referred mortgage loans, administration of policies and procedures, reviewing and increasing sales, collaborating with operations, and maintaining compliance while providing excellent customer service.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- – Develop business by initiating sales calls, follow-up meetings, and responding to referrals in a timely manner
- – Accept loan applications and gather all necessary documentation in order to start the pre-qualification Mortgage process and review financials, credit and property for feasibility of granting loans.
- – Provide sales support and strong communication to customers, processors, and management from loan pre-qualification to loan closing;
- – Monitor all applications and supporting documentation to avoid and detect customer fraud;
- – Work with management to achieve team and division goals;
- – Work closely with support staff to ensure efficient processing to include account documentation is complete and accurate, , underwriting, and closing of loans;
- – Manage and monitor all disclosures to ensure compliance with regulations and mandatory time frames;
- – Perform all other duties as identified from time to time.
- – Obeying all applicable federal laws, rules, and regulations relating to Anti-Money Laundering (AML) including the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA).
- – Maintain excellent customer relations and the confidentiality of the Bank’s customers information;
- – Negotiate terms, structure loan financing based on risk considerations and present credits for approval to appropriate levels of authority with the bank in accordance with bank procedures.
- – Complete necessary credit investigations on each loan application as appropriate for keeping credit files current for the duration of the loan.
- – Analyze potential loan markets and develop referral networks to locate prospects for loans.
- – Build and maintain positive relations with business referral sources, customers, potential customers and co-workers.
- – Ability to analyze mortgage clients for additional potential needs of other bank products and services and participate in business development activities.
- – High School diploma or equivalent; and 3-5 years related experience or equivalent.
- – Prior mortgage experience is required.
- – Effective interpersonal relationships with customers, management and team members;
- – Thorough knowledge of FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac guidelines and standards;
- – A thorough understanding and application of all policies, procedures and regulations pertaining to the work of a Retail Mortgage Loan Officer;
- – Must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of key lending concepts such as debt/income ratios, LTV percentages, credit scoring, and other underwriting criteria;
- – Ability to solve practical problems and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form;
- – Ability to work with interest rates, ratios, percentages, excel and graphs;
- – Ability to prioritize multiple demands in a high-pressure environment while maintaining professional demeanor and organizational skills;
- – Must have the ability to obtain an NMLS number.
- – Must pass the background check and not be listed on any watch and/or exclusionary list including but not limited to the GSA, LDP, and FHFA.
- – Must be SAFE Mortgage Licensing Act compliant within 30 days of employment in this role and applicable NMLS acceptable background check
- – Excellent customer service skills, attentiveness, and information retention.
- – Ability to interact effectively with employees in order to direct work flow, assess performance, and assign duties.
- – Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, across a variety of audiences.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- – While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position, primarily at a desk. The work environment is typically located indoors but may have infrequent occasion to work outdoors. Some travel may be necessary to other businesses and branch locations.
- – The employee is frequently required to operate a computer, printer, copy machine, calculator, telephone, and/or other office equipment.
- – The employee frequently exchanges information with others and must be able to do so in an effective manner. Must have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, and across a variety of audiences.
- – The employee may frequently move items up to 20 pounds and occasionally move items up to 50 pounds.
- – The employee may frequently reach for files, books, and similar items in high or low places and must have the ability to bend, stoop, or reach.
- – The typical schedule is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Travel, overtime, or extended hours may be occasionally required.
This position will remain open until filled.
Additional Open Positions
As an applicant, our team reviews and considers all your experiences to arrive at competitive and rewarding compensation.
Retirement – 401K
We know better than anyone the importance of financial planning, which is why we offer a comprehensive 401K plan.
Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
We care about the health and well-being of our team, which is why employees have access to best-in-class medical, vision and dental insurance.
Paid Time Off + 11 Paid Holidays
Not only do team members enjoy 11 paid holidays throughout the calendar year, but our full PTO offering makes sure you never miss the important things.
An extension of our medical, vision and dental offerings, telemedicine ensures our team is covered in every way.
We know that we are only as strong as our team, which is why we offer tuition assistance for a variety of programs at schools across the Gulf Coast and online.
Don’t See Your Role?
Feel free to send us your application and will keep it on file and keep you updated as we expand our team.
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME